Personal experience/Reference only 4 years
Understanding Diversity Assignment
1. Explain the difference between valuing and managing diversity and provide examples from professional experiences for each. Your examples should be novel (do not use what is written in the book). Show how communication affects this process.
2. Using a variety of concepts that were introduced in your chapter, identify, define and explain the one or two areas regarding understanding or managing diversity in which you are the strongest. Show how communication affects this process through specific examples.
“Listening is critical for effective communication, yet few people have actually acquired training in this essential skill”
3. Using a variety of concepts that were introduced in your chapter, identify, define and explain the one or two areas of understanding or managing diversity in which you need more improvement. Examine specific communication opportunities that could help you improve your intercultural communication competence.
“Active listening invites others to listen to you”
4. If you did not change or improve your intercultural communication competence, discuss how it would affect your personal and professional life. Use specific experiences/examples to show the implications.
5. Identify, define and explain one barrier to accepting diversity discussed in your textbook that you experienced/observed and discuss how you would address it.
6. Select one of the five dimensions of cross-cultural differences discussed in your textbook. Explain the meaning and offer a specific example to show how it impacts cross-cultural communication (from your own experiences, or from what you learned through your research).
7. Name individual diversity strategies discussed in your chapter. Select one and explain how you might apply it moving forward to help gain awareness and improve your ability to understand and relate to others.
8. Think back on the questions and identify a few that were more difficult to complete than others. Explain why.
9. What did you learn about yourself in this exercise?