For this assignment, review the “Dell Inc.: Improving the Flexibility of the Desktop PC Supply Chain” case on pages 179–187 in your Designing and Managing the Supply Chain textbook. In that reading, Dell Inc. experienced issues with rising manufacturing costs. In 2–3 double-spaced pages, analyze Dell’s proposed solutions and determine which solution would best resolve its issues. Complete the following:
- Critically examine Dell’s supply chain system components and its non-linear interaction.
- Analyze the opportunities Dell identified for system improvements and the methodology used. Be sure to address the following questions:
- How good is the methodology employed by the BPI team to determine the optimal manufacturing option for Dell?
- Are there approaches that are more effective?
- Analyze the advantages and risks of the six manufacturing solutions proposed by Dell’s BPI team.
- Based on your analysis, select the proposed solution that would best resolve Dell’s issues. Which of the six proposed manufacturing solutions in Table 6-1 of your textbook should Dell implement, based on the survey results?
- Explain why you selected the solution and how it will improve Dell’s global operations and supply chain. Be sure to address the following question:
- How can Dell effectively address the root causes contributing to the increase of L5 manufacturing (Simchi-Levi, Kaminsky, & Simchi-Levi, 2008, 187)?